Jim has deep roots in Saint Cloud and broad experience. Jim and Janet have been married for 30 years and have two college age children.
Jim was born and raised on Saint Cloud’s north side. He attended Madison, North Junior High, and Apollo High School, receiving an excellent public education that enabled him to get higher education at:
- Saint John’s University – Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Business Administration
- Harvard University – Master’s in Business Administration
- Georgetown University – Master’s in American Government
Jim cares about our community. Both Jim and Janet have been involved in local charities for years.
- Jim is a Board Member of the Salvation Army Board of Advisors for Saint Cloud. Jim and Janet host a fundraiser for its homeless shelter at their home each Fall, and over the last nine years have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars
- Jim is on the Board of the Central Minnesota Boy Scout Council
- Jim is an active member and volunteer of the Saint Cloud Rotary Service Club (sponsors of the popular “Summertime by George!)
- Former Big Brother, with Big Brothers, Big Sisters
- Former Regent on the Saint John’s University Board of Regents
- Former Board Member of a K-12 private school
- Former church trustee
- Former co-chair of the Birthline Festival for Life
Janet has been a Board member of Birthline, volunteered with the Pregnancy Resource Center, and served on the Board of the Central Minnesota Community Foundation.
Business and Professional Experience
Jobs are critical to our community. Jim has owned and managed small businesses for over thirty years. He currently owns a real estate company that helps people buy and sell homes, and also does property management and development.
Jim previously owned a direct marketing and data processing company. He has had management positions in both the medical device and defense industries.
Jim also taught at Saint John’s University and the College of Saint Benedict. He is a Certified Public Accountant (inactive).
Jim served as a State Representative for Saint Cloud and several surrounding communities from 1995-2006. He was honored to chair the House Capital Investment and House Ways and Means Committees. He declined to run for re-election in 2006 to return to the private sector and spend more time with his family. Jim was elected State Representative in 2014 after an absence of eight years, and was again named to Chair the House Ways and Means Committee.